Did you know I hate telemarketing? What? One of the two founders of XANT admits he hates telemarketing?
I don’t think there is anything worse than a call at dinner time; or worse yet, on a Sunday morning, from a telemarketer.
Dave Elkington, my partner, and I decided a long time ago that we wanted to hang with professional sales people, not telemarketers. And to us inside sales means remote selling.
Here are my 10 reasons Why I Hate Telemarketing:
- I have to say “No!” seven times before they hang up.
- They never pronounce my name right (of course, few do.)
- They sell stuff that sounds good until I read the fine print.
- They are betting I will procrastinate cancelling my free trial and keep paying.
- They don’t think I can think.
- I always hear a click and a pause, and I know it is a telemarketer using a predictive dialer.
- Politicians exempted themselves from all the laws about telemarketing at dinner time.
- Non-profits call and burn their good name with me becuase they are too pushy.
- They play my wife against me by telling her different things.
- They give professional sales over the phone or through the web a bad name.
There, I said it.
I love inside sales, I hate telemarketing.
Inside sales is not telemarketing.